Nothing ruins a party like the end of the world… Or having to see Danny McBride.
If you knew it was the end of the world, would you want to go party at James Franco’s house? I probably would if he had a NES with Mike Tyson’s Punch Out.
This Is The End. Written and directed by Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg is about Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Seth Rogan, Craig Robinson and James Franco all trying to survive the apocalypse after a party at Franco’s house. These guys are clueless and funny. Straight and simple.
While dopey and full-hearted this flick is a good time. So I’ll keep it short.
– The comedy. Well crafted or spontaneously improvised? Does it matter? Hell no! This flick bruised my knee, I was slapping so hard. This Is The End really feels like just a bunch of friends messing around and having fun while cameras are rolling. I’ll mention The Watch in the sense that it’s funny people just being funny.
– The look. I’ll admit the budget for the CGI looked kind of campy, but I believe that is it’s charm. While ground-swelling and walls crumbling all look like cardboard, these guys look dumb enough for it to be real to them, dammit!
– Emma Watson. Yes. I’m 24. It’s okay. If you’re 35 and over and agree with me, you’re kind of gross.
WHAT DIDN’T WORK:
– The Pacing. Much like The Watch, when you get a bunch of funnies like Ben Stiller or James Franco you get laughs. But the cost of those laughs is pacing. This film had some long moments when it tried to give you room to breath.
– Danny McBride. I need not say more. I hate him.
This flick is a crazy good time. There’s no doubt about it. While trying to quietly push the theme of evolving friendship, Rogan and Goldberg make a demon go full frontal like we wish had happened in Dude Where’s My Car. The laughs in the cinema will be heard by young and old as seeing Michael Cera as a real-life douchebag Tony Montana is amazing. This is a film worth going out of your way to see and laugh at. While being smart at some points, this flick is just dumb fun. In fact This Is The End So Damn Stupid It’s Awesome.